Monday, January 18, 2010

"What Are You Doing For Others?"

MLK, Jr. Day: A Day Of Service, Not A Day Off

Life's most persistent and urgent question is, what are you doing for others?
--Martin Luther King, Jr.

With the people of Haiti in our hearts, and the continuing trauma of recession here at home on our minds, there is one thing that each of us -- no matter our station in life -- can and should do to help those in need: Volunteer our time, our expertise, our energy.

For volunteer opportunities in your community and beyond, visit one or more of the following websites:

www.allforgood.org/

www.1-800-volunteer.org/1800Vol/long-island-volunteer-center/vcindex.do

www.longisland.com/charities/

http://www.volunteermatch.org/

Or contact your favorite charity or local service organization and ask, "what can I do to help?"

And if volunteering for the sake of helping others isn't sufficient reward, visit DisneyParks.com to find out how you can turn a day of volunteerism into a ticket to a Disney theme park.
- - -
"...Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."
--I've Been To The Mountaintop, April 3, 1968

No comments:

Post a Comment